FCK warmly welcomes international volunteers. We believe that you have skills, education, life experience and many more things to contribute to making a difference in a child’s life.
Our goal is two-fold:
- Help you have a meaningful visit to Cambodia and feel good about investing your time, money, skills and education into the children at FKC.
- Add to what we are doing. FKC has clear and successful programs we we believe that your visit can help enhance those programs and add value to the children and staff
We welcome guests from every country and any time of hear. However, please consider this regarding your visit:
- It’s hot in Cambodia all the time, but it’s especially hot in March, April and May. Please consider the timing of your visit for your health benefit.
- We welcome you anytime, but there are certain times of the year that Cambodia has extended holidays and schools and public services are closed. That would primarily be in April, September and October. Be sure to coordinate with us regarding the timing of your visit.
- We are a school and schools in Cambodia have “dress codes” for children and teachers. We ask that you dress for the weather, but also be neat, tidy, clean and modest for your visit.
What can you do?
Oh, there’s so much you can do. Many people who visit think they really have nothing to offer. That’s not true at all. We will send you a Team Profile which we ask you to complete which will help us identify hidden (obvious) skills, hobbies, abilities, education that you can use to make as difference, but here are some ideas:
- There is always a need and opportunity for painting, repairing, fixing, renovating, building around our facilities or in the homes of the children who attend our schools. You don’t have to be a professional to do this.
- Speaking into the lives of our children, teens, staff and women is always a valuable thing you can do. You may have an inspiring life story or a specific education or or sociological experience you can share with them that would be educational or inspirational. We can try to create an opportunity for that.
- We teach English, guitar, ukulele, singing, dance and drama. You may have skills in those areas.
- We teach administration computer and architectural design. You may have experience in that.
- Reading to the children is a tremendous thing to do, as well as just playing with them and having fun. A smile and kind gesture goes a long way and makes a bit impact. The children and parents will probably never for get you. Really!
- You may come prepared to distribute school supplies or rice, noodles an oil t needy families or make a repair on a home or provided needed household supplies to a family.
- Please keep in mind also, that our native language is Khmer. Our staff speaks various levels of English and we do teach English to our children, but you will need a translator in most everything you do. Really the easiest way to do that is to hire a translator to be with your during your visits. A suggested donation would be $20 per day.
Let me share with you three examples from one of our sister organizations:
- A young man came who was a compute repairman. We asked him to dismantle a desktop computer and reassemble it and explain in layman’s terms how it all works together to be a useful tool for work or entertainment. The youth loved it and it was really helpful to them.
- We saw on the Team Profile a young girl was a beautician. We asked if she could cut hair without electricity. We took her to a village and she cut hair all day for free. They loved it!
- Another lady worked for a job placement business. We asked her to share with our older students how to prepare to get a good job and how to present yourself for an interview.
These are just some of the many ways you can invest who you are into the lives of children and adults associated with Future of Khmer Children.
Please take time and fill out the Team Profile so we can plan a life-changing visit for you!